Sunday, November 9, 2008

Taste of Silver Spring??

OK, my euphoria is starting to dissipate. While I am still excited to have a Democrat moving to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, I can now start to think about things other than politics - and what better than food.

However, I really don't like having to write a post about this topic. I would much rather write about a real taste of SS not this Chamber-produced product. While many other parts of the metro area have events highlighting local restaurants, we are stuck with - at least for now - this event put on by the Greater SS Chamber of Commerce.

The event is not an outdoor, weekend event, but is an indoor (taking place at Discovery HQs) gathering and on a Wed evening. But that's not the worst, if you want to attend, get your checkbook out and plan to write a check for $50! Unless you are a member of the Chamber - which I am sure most of my SoCo readers are - then it's only $40. One other item worth noting, it appears the only restaurants that are eligible to participate may be ones that are members of the Chamber. I'm not 100% sure on this, and I really hope it's not the case. But the Chamber's web site does hype their "member" restaurants.

C'mon. This is completely bogus. The entry fee does get you a beer or wine and all the tastes you want - but what if you just wanted to stop by and try a few things and didn't want to spend a C note for you and your significant other? Can't we have an event where you simply hit the tables in which you're interested and not feel compelled to gorge yourself to make up for the money you're spending? I would feel better if some of the money was going to a worthwhile local charity, but there is no mention of this on the Chamber's web site.

Anyway, the event is Wednesday evening, November 19 at Discovery. And note, if you want to attend you need to make reservations by Nov. 12 by calling the Chamber (301-565-3777). The participating "member" restaurants include: Across the Street Cafe, Asian Bistro, Blair Mansion Inn, Caribou Coffee, Dish Catering, Eggspectation, Ghar-E-Kabab, Gifford's Ice Cream & Candy Co., Kirsten's Cafe, La Prima Catering, Lebanese Taverna Cafe, McGinty's Public House, Moorenko's Ice Cream Cafe, My Kitchen, Nicaro, Noodles & Company, Olazzo, Party Rescue Team, redDog Cafe, Romano's Macaroni Grill, Silver Spring Thai Flavor, York Castle Tropical Ice Cream and Whole Foods Market.

There are some winners here, I really like Nicaro, Ghar-E-Kabab, and Olazzo, but what is Party Rescue Team? Is this a restaurant? And I consider Whole Foods a grocery store. Also, La Prima closed its doors, right? Why are they still participating?

I think for 2009, we need a real Taste - maybe on a Saturday in October? A nice fall day where folks can stroll around and try a few more non-chain places. We need Thai Derm, Mandalay, Jackies, Lotus Cafe, La Bamba and a few others there. Could it be that hard to pull off? And if anyone does attend this event, please let me know how it went. Thanks.

4 comments:

Vagrarian said...

Re: La Prima...They have several locations, and are now operating out of College Park. I know this because my office is in the building where they used to be and we still have catering done from them. I'd rather switch but I don't make the decisions. Where is a good caterer in the neighborhood?

Toward the end, La Prima was doing very little actual retail/restaurant business, and doing more and more catering, and their closing of that location was not a surprise.

Anonymous said...

I fear that this event will be the biggest exposure yet for "Across the Street Cafe." Every time I pass that place it's empty, with someone (the owner?) standing outside forlornly like Baboo in front of his doomed Pakistani restaurant in "Seinfeld."

WashingtonGardener said...

I agree naming the chamber event a "Taste of SS" does steal the hopes of any REAL Taste of SS street festival for ALL the eateries of SS to participate in. I hold up Taste of Wheaton as my personal fave of area fastivals - great eats, GREAT prices, easy $1 ticket system, and well-run.
Maybe we can all brainstorm a better name? I'll throw out:
"Silver Spring Festival of Tastes" for starters.
My 2nd choice is "Silver Spring Purple Line Palate Parade" - a moveable trolley with food stops along the proposed route.
My 3rd nomination is: "Silver Spring Feast Beast" - that one will need an appropriate mascot - I picture a Chinese parade dragon with a penguin head and chicken wings.

John said...

Thanks for your comments on this, I was on the verge of heading to my car to go down there, but, thanks to your post, I'm not going to bother. You're right, we need a REAL, open ToSS event representing all the great food choices, not a closed Chamber event.... This is silly!