Friday, January 23, 2009

Si, Sabor

At the NE corner of Piney Branch Rd and Flower Ave sits a nondescript strip mall that I bet most of you have driven by dozens of times. There's not a lot to talk about concerning this strip mall, except a wonderful little Latin restaurant called Sabor.

I believe Sabor is still run by Jorge Chicas (from Zatinya) with his brother and mother. Together they have put together a wonderful - and mostly under the radar - dining spot. My wife and I have eaten there several times now. While we have noticed some inconsistencies, on the whole we are both typically very pleased with our orders.

In my opinion, their papusas, taquitos and tostadas are all quite good. And while I have yet to venture into their meat dishes, I have heard from others that their chicken, beef, and pork rival many other establishments which charge a helluva lot more than Sabor.

In addition to their food being very high quality, one of the other great things about Sabor is their prices. You can easily order lunch for two people and stay under $20, maybe even $15 depending on what you get and how hungry you are. But I would recommend going in hungry because you'll want to try a number of dishes.

It is worth noting that no alcohol is served - one of the reasons, at least for me - that you can eat at Sabor so cheaply. One last thing, I would most definitely recommend picking up some of their homemade corn tortillas when you finish eating. If I remember correctly, a package of 30 sell for about $1.50. You're not gonna get tortillas of this quality much cheaper than that. I would caution that they are fresh and with few preservatives, so they don't last in the fridge very long. So have some plans to make enchiladas, tacos or just warm them up and eat them with good salsa. Either way you go, you won't be disappointed.

I hope you get the chance to try them out. You'll be glad you did.

No comments: