Monday, April 13, 2009

Farmers Market Returns This Weekend

Yes, it's still in the 30s when you wake up, but it is time for fresh, local veggies and fruit. If you've made the trek east to the Takoma Park Farmers Market lately, you've been seeing plenty of vendors with great looking greens, fruit, and misc veggies along with eggs, cheese and meats.

And now starting this Saturday the Silver Spring Farmers Market returns (9AM-1PM). Not sure yet if we have new vendors coming or not, but I did hear that for you meat eaters out there, that Gunpowder Bison from Monkton will be offering bison burgers and steaks. They've been at Takoma Park lately, but I have yet to try anything. Although I must say it looks awful good.

Also, I'm a little worried whether or not Charlie Koiner will be back this year. If you don't know Charlie, he has a plot of land at the corner of Easley St and Grove right off downtown SS where he typically sells fruit and veg from the spring till the fall. He and his daughter are also stalwarts at the SS Market. But this year I have yet to see Charlie out in the garden much (if any) and his sign which lists what he has for sale has not made an appearance in the yard. Hope things are OK with him. He is getting up there in age - probably mid-80s.

And I hope if you have any space to do gardening yourself, you've gotten the bug and have planted, or are thinking about planting, a few things. I can tell you that my greens are coming up nicely - arugula, spinach and lettuce - and I'm getting things ready for a bunch more stuff. I've expanded my plot this year to include okra, peas, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, string beans and more. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

OK, hope to see you at the market this weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Koiner is fine and working hard as ever. He'll be there.

socoblogboy said...

Yes, we saw him and Lynne. While they didn't have much yet for sale, he looked good.