Monday, January 11, 2010

Now we need a dentist in the 'hood

And no, that mobile dentist guy on Easley Street does NOT count.

I write the need for a dentist after trying a few different treats from Velatis, our new caramels shop on Georgia Ave. Man, is some of their stuff sweet! I guess I shouldn't be surprised when the main ingredient found in most of what they sell is sugar.

But I do have to say, as not as big sweets guy - I would definitely choose savory over sweet if it came down to it - they make some pretty mean caramels. The two distinct styles they make are sugary and chewy - coming in about 20 different varieties. Now I can't say I've made much of a dent in the 20 different varieties, but I did try a few over the break. This is much to my chagrin of my waistline.

I think the first one I tried is still my favorite. That is the Sea Salt Turtle. It is pecan halves covered with caramel, dark chocolate and then topped with sea salt. To me, the addition of the salt really takes it over the top. And I like the crunch of the pecans. Just one is a nice dessert. This also helps since each one is $3.50 a pop. However you shouldn't go into Velatis looking for bargain-basement sweets. You're gonna need a little bit of scratch to sample their goodies.

In addition to the turtles, I've also sunk my teeth into their truffles. It appeared Velatis offered almost 2 dozen different varieties of truffles ($3 each). While many sounded good, I tried a couple of the cappuccino variety. And yes, I recommend them! They were excellent. Very rich, chocolatey-gooey and not too over the top sweet. I would have to imagine if you like truffles, Velatis will have one to meet your needs.

I also tried the toffee with nuts. This one was my least favorite. I bought a 1/4 pound and I just couldn't get through it. This one was way too sweet for me. I was thinking since it had nuts it would be more brittle-like. But it really didn't have much of a crunch to it, and that's what I was looking for. It really was predominately chocolate and toffee. Oh well, two out of three isn't bad.

I do plan to throw Velatis my business when I can, but at least for me, I can't see shopping there on a regular basis. I was told that during the holidays they did a brisk business. I'll be curious to see how they fare in the post-holiday season when folks are heading to the gym, not the caramel shop.

My guess is the most profitable part of their business is corporate events and weddings. Just as long as they're not relying on us local yocals walking into the store and buying pounds and pounds of caramels to keep them afloat.

But I definitely recommend you give them a try if you've yet to go in. I think you'll be happy you did. Just stick your scale in the bathroom closet for a while.

6 comments:

Thayer Avenue said...

I've been meaning to go by there but just haven't made it. While tasty, I'll have to classify that like Cookie Monster's cookie: a "sometimes" food. Looks awesome. But I'm still concerned about longevity, considering their niche market.

Vagrarian said...

I took a box of the non-chewy caramels home for Christmas. They were a hit; not too sweet, and that gave space for flavor. And the dentists who visit the area love it.

Rebby said...

I know it's not the point of the article BUT...

Dr. Pollack is housed in The Blairs (Blair Plaza to be exact) and he's a good dentist :)

socoblogboy said...

Thanks for the heads up Rebby. We need something more than the mobile dentist. That beat-up RV of his scares me pretty good. Don't want to set foot in that thing to have work done on my choppers!

Anonymous said...

I go to Dr. Taylor on East West Hwy in the NOAA building. Very nice guy and he does good work.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Chocolates, cakes, pastries and everything sweet are such a sinful treat. Now I know why you really need to go to a dentist. Honestly before, I was afraid to go to them because it's so painful but now with the new sedation dentistry (Raleigh area), all my fears were gone in an instant and sedation dentistry (Raleigh, NC area) is such a big help with people who wants to visit a dentist but will definitely feel no pain with the procedures.