Sunday, February 21, 2010

Au revoir Roger Miller

Well, the next time you're jonesing for fufu, you're not gonna have 'ol Roger Miller to satisfy your cravings. Some time in the last couple weeks, the Cameroonian restaurant at 941-1 Bonifant (just next to Thai Derm) closed its doors.

While there aren't a lot of details available, the good folks at Thai Derm say a new dining spot will soon be taking over. Had it not been for the blizzard, a new place might have thrown its doors open already. Word has it that we're getting a Peruvian chicken outpost. Now don't confuse this with the new Portuguese chicken restaurant, Nando's Peri Peri, that is supposedly opening a place on Ellsworth in the Peterson Development. However there is no mention of that on the company's website.

While I doubt a Peruvian chicken shack will hold much interest for me, I'll be curious to see what they have to offer. I can't say that I'll miss Roger Miller all that much. It's a good thing that Cafe d'Abidjan opened a couple miles south of RM on Georgia Ave for the next time I'm in the mood for some west African fare.

And if anyone has any details on the closing of RM or the new restaurant taking its place, please shoot me a note. Thanks.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I spoke with someone at Foulger-Pratt who said Nando's was going in the old Bombay Company location, but they hadn't finalized all the terms of the lease. Once they've done that, a public announcement will be made. Can't wait...love me some Nando's :)

Clancy said...

Does any one know where the came up with the "Roger Miller" name? It always seemed like a very, very odd name for a West African restaurant. My wife broke out in "King of the Road" every time we passed that place.

WashingtonGardener said...

Clancy - google it - famous African soccer player - see http://www.voiceofafricaradio.com/component/content/article/19-features/67-african-sports-icons-roger-miller.html

Springvale Roader said...

SoCo: Good skullduggery. I'm really disappointed it's going to be a chicken shack, though.

Steve said...

Add me to the list of people unhappy to see another chicken place open up. We've already got a decent one on Colesville opposite the AFI so why do we need another. Why not open up something people want like a wine bar. No, I don't mean like Adega, I mean like a real wine bar not some fast-food version of a wine bar. Adega makes me angry just thinking about it.
However, in the category of good news, I did see a sign saying that the Hook & Ladder BrewPub is finally opening in October of 2014.

socoblogboy said...

Curious to hear if others folks think the 'hood could support an honest to goodness wine bar (a la Cork in DC) or something similar, like a somewhat upscale place doing small plates. That certainly is my restaurant ambition. I think Cork is fab and would undoubtedly spend way too much money if I could walk to an establishment like that - unless I happen to run it myself. Then I would eat/drink all the profits - still bad.

Springvale Roader said...

Oh yeah, a wine bar would be great! I think DTSS could support it.

Has anyone been to Mrs. K's (fairly) new French wine cellar? It's really wonderful, but alas too pricey for regular attendance.

As for Adega: I really like the place. It doesn't claim to be a wine bar, but what it does, it does well. Good food (not gourmet, but good), decent wines by the glass, and a good selection of wines of sale coupled with friendly and helpful salespeople. It's an adult oasis from the junk across the street on Hellsworth.

Anonymous said...

Definitely agree on Adega, it doesn't pretend to be a wine bar at all. Good place to hangout and have a bite.

That having been said I think a true wine bar would be perfect here and it would do well.

Finally, since someone brought it up, does anyone have any clue as to when Hook and Ladder will actually open? I walked by on my way to Olazzo the other day and it doesn't seem to be making much progress. Such a shame that MoCo makes it a hellish experience for businesses to open. Perhaps it's time for some grassroots activism to get some change in this county....anyone?