Sunday, May 16, 2010

Alert

Well, I don't really have an alert except that I'm out of town for a couple wks and won't be able to alert you on breaking SS dining news. And I know, I missed the boat on Taste of Jerusalem closing so I'm not even that reliable about passing on pertinent restaurant news.

I will say I just started a new job, this blogging thing certainly does not pay the bills, so my mind has not been as focused as usual on SS food. But in short order I will be back to spread the good word on local food news.

The one thing I can say is the SS Farmers Market is in full bloom. If you haven't been over lately, you probably missed the run of fresh asparagus. They were fabulous. But no one had any this wk so I'm guessing asparagus season is behind us. And I would not recommend getting any from the grocery store that's traveled a few thousand miles from CA or South America -- in my book, they can't compete with our fresh, local stuff.

But if you're looking for fresh herbs to plant, you can find plenty over at the market. You will also find plenty of fresh greens -- arugula, chard, spinach, etc -- and also, chicken is back. I bought one yesterday and roasted it. Quite a hit for dinner. Although I had to cook about 30 + mins longer than the recipe stated (thanks Eric Ripert)! Luckily my meat thermometer saved the day and I didn't cause any food poisoning - at least not that I'm aware. At $4 per pound, I thought it was quite a good deal to feed the missus, a friend and me, with enough leftover for lunch today.

OK, that's it for now. Be back posting in a couple weeks. I have to start packing.

1 comment:

Jonathan Bernstein said...

We picked up some arugula yesterday and my spouse made the freshest and appealing looking salad! Meanwhile, our first experience with bison sausage was a flop. This seemed like bison meat rather than sausage taste and just didn't work for breakfast.

Meanwhile, thanks for your posts about the new chicken place on Bonifant. We'll still try it tonight for take out and I'll add to that post.