Friday, June 25, 2010

Ramen!

All right, I'm not in the hood. The new job took me out to LA for the week so I thought I'd post a short report. Had my second meal of the week tonight in LT -- yes you're right, that's Little Tokyo. Even though I come from Italian and Mexican stock, Japanese food is way up there for me.

My first LT meal of the week was a bit disappointing, was good, not great. I had some izakaya at a place called Izayoi. Was a lot better the last time I was in town. Was gonna try another izakaya place tonight, but when I walked up the place was dead. So I thought, what are my options? I knew there would be ramen places nearby, so I pulled out my phone and surveyed the scene.

Lo and behold, what did I find -- Orochon Ramen! This place has a bit of a following since it is both really good, but it was also highlighted on a Travel Channel show called Man v. Food not that long ago. A main draw for the show was the Special 2 ramen.

This is an extremely spicy ramen. And I think if you actually finish an entire bowl you get some kind of special prize. I am not that loco, but I did want to push it a bit and I ordered Impact - Orochon 3. It would have been better if I didn't start with a couple small dishes -- the spicy scallops and the cucumber with miso -- but hey, I was hungry. Both dishes were good, but the ramen is very filling. Especially when all the broth is combined with a couple big Sapporo's.

You can choose from 3 styles, miso, soy sauce and salty. I chose miso.
I can't imagine what salty would have been like. I'm already gonna have to double up on my blood pressure medicine after that meal.

And all the prices are cheap, around $6 to $7. Same for the small plates; mine were less than $4 each. I also added tofu to the ramen ($2 extra), but it obviously comes with ramen noodles and veggies. I thought it also might come with pork - since the menu said that - but mine didn't. Just as well since I know it was not happy pork.

Now doesn't that look good?

And the spice level didn't kill me. It was hot, but not so much it wasn't enjoyable, But for sure, as I made my way down to the bottom of the bowl it did get hotter - or liquid lava as my fellow ramen eater next to me called it.

And even though I tried my best, I could not get all the way to the bottom of the bowl. It was a bit of heaven and hell, agony and ecstasy. I was so full, but the ramen was so good. I didn't want to stop, but I had to. I did make it pretty far. I would highly recommend this place if you're out in LA for any reason. It's on the 3rd floor of a little mall called Sutton Court - has a lot of other restaurants - at the corner of 2nd Ave and San Pedro.

I wish I knew of a place in the metro area that did ramen like this. Given the low price of serving ramen, I bet it would do well. I read the other day in SS Singular that Langano is losing its lease. Is there any way a ramen place could take it over?? If so, I would be one happy man.

9 comments:

Pete said...

Love Little Tokyo in LA. Not Japanese, but nearby Wurstkuche is a CAN'T MISS. German beer, lots of sausage, including veg, and a cool space.

Andy said...

For some tasty ramen closer to home, check out Ren's Ramen in Bethesda.

Thayer Avenue said...

You're killing me. I now have an insatiable hankering for good ramen. Damn you! I suppose I'll have to hit Phở 75 tomorrow for lunch as an adequate substitute.

Anonymous said...

when do we get to hear about your trip to Spain?

socoblogboy said...

Thanks for the recommendations. Back in LA this wk, but not near LT. Wanted to hang out with the cools kids in Venice. And I'll check out Ren's for sure. Our DC office is in Bethesda so that'll be convenient.

And was reluctant to do a Spain blog since it's way out of the hood, but I guess I could do one post with some pics, huh? That wouldn't hurt anyone.

Tina & Drew said...

No lie SoCo - in LA you MUST try Daikoku (http://www.daikoku-ten.com/)

Their ramen is served in a kurobuta pork broth, it's DELICIOUS! I have dreams - close to Japan as you'll get without the flight. :D Great deals too.

I love Temari in Rockville but hands down they have nothing on Daikoku (and the prices are ridiculous for what you get)!

socoblogboy said...

OK, I guess Daikokuya it is for dinner tomorrow nt. I think this is the place my wife has told me about -- that always has a long line to get in. I'll be prepared to wait. Should I send back pics? Any recommendations on what to order?

Tina & Drew said...

Daikoku-ya opens up pretty late so you could potentially hit up another eatery for an early dinner (Ueru-Ka-Mu) and then head to Daikoku for a late night smorgasboard without the wait :)

At Daikoku, recommend the tonkatsu ramen and rice bowl combo and maybe goyza on the side. It's a lot but it's sooooo good.

Ueru-Ka-Mu has great sushi. Take photos and love to hear what you think!

KakiNoTane said...

orochon is in the former location of the great Umemura-I went there every Sat for years after slogging through J-School. It is now in Gardena on Redondo Bch Blvd and worth the drive. Also recommend
Ramen-ya in the Westside on Olympic. They even serve Mugi Cha (barley tea, traditional summer drink in Japan)
And about Orochon. I took my Japanese mom and the rest of the raised on ramen family and the verdict was:overrated. Broth good but noodles subpar not real ramen noodles. And what's with the round gyoza???!!! Also missed the lack of selection-