Friday, November 19, 2010

Got Injera?

Well, if you don't, and can't seem to locate Addis Ababa, or Langano or that place behind the County liquor store or any of the other Ethiopian restaurants in the close vicinity, you are now in luck. Our own Highland Coffee, on the corner of Fenton and Silver Spring Ave is expanding and will soon be serving dishes beyond the pastries and sandwiches which they currently offer.

When I asked what they'll be serving, I was told, "Ethiopian food." Wow, thanks. I thought they'd be offering Texas-style BBQ or maybe Cincinnati chili. I mean, c'mon, if a customer comes in and asks about the expansion and what you'll be serving, shouldn't you be more forthcoming and maybe a bit more enthusiastic than what I got?

I guess I'll have to go to the Gazette, where I originally found out about Highland's plans, for additional information. According to the article, Highland will seat about 50 people on the restaurant side and will serve meat and vegetarian Ethiopian dishes, as well as lasagna and spaghetti. Really?

I am aware of the ugly past my ancestors played in what was then known as Abassinia. So I understand there is a connection to Italy, no matter how troubling it is. But do you really want to go beyond your strong suit, Ethiopian dishes, to these kind of the basic, run-of-the-mill Italian dishes. My guess, parents can come in for Ethiopian and the kids get macaroni with butter, or something like that.

I do hope Highland's has done the necessary research to understand if adding 50 seats and hiring around 10-15 new employees is sustainable in our hood. As we all know it is not hard to find this style of food in Silver Spring. I personally am not a fan of Ethiopian food, so I can't really judge. But I do live near Addis Ababa and they consistently seem to have a good crowd. But I do wish them the best and will keep a close eye whenever their new venture gets off the ground.

A couple other things to note. Norman's farm market - the one that was selling pumpkins and such on Fenton - has shut its 'doors' so to speak. Either way, they are no longer currently in business in that location, but could be back in the spring.

And I doubt I have to remind anyone, but our Thanksgiving parade is Saturday morning, starting at 9:30 AM. Time to get our annual fix of Bolivian dancers. See you there.

4 comments:

JK said...

I'm not surprised by their not helpful response. I went there once for breakfast and couldn't find anything vegetarian on the memo. Breakfast! The most vegetarian of all meals. I asked if they had anything vegetarian. They scoffed/laughed and said "toast". They aren't so great with customer service. I haven't been back. Like you said, there are a lot of Ethiopian places already and for breakfast we've got the fabulous Kefa Cafe.

Anonymous said...

I've actually seen staff get in fights with customers who have complained about coffee orders.

The condiment counter is always filthy. It amazes me that the neighborhood's standards are so low that this place can stay in business.

WashingtonGardener said...

I'm not an Ethiopian food fan either except for Abol up on Colesville -- but I imagine there must be demand...

BTW I think Norman's Mkt mentioned maybe being baclk with trees, wreaths and roping for the Christmas season. I hope so, looks so sad and empty there now.

Terry in Silver Spring said...

"A couple other things to note. Norman's farm market - the one that was selling pumpkins and such on Fenton - has shut its 'doors' so to speak. Either way, they are no longer currently in business in that location, but could be back in the spring."

Norman's also has the farm stand on Jones Bridge Road on the west side of Rock Creek Park. They close up every year about this time and reopen in the spring.

http://www.normansfarmmarket.com/