Sunday, February 20, 2011

Silver Spring - shut out again

Well, the James Beard Foundation award semi-finalists were announced, and lo and behold, SS was shut down. Maryland really didn't even get much love except for Charleston in Baltimore. DC did get some love as did a few places in NoVa - but not us.

I'm not surprised, but was hopeful that maybe Pedro at 8407 would have been a semi-finalist for rising star chef of the year or maybe in the mid-Atlantic category, but it was not meant to be. I did not think the burly Greek guys serving up falafel and gyros up on the Avenue would make the cut or even the little old Thai ladies at Thai Derm. But maybe next year.

In other local news, I'm sure everyone has already heard that Langano is on its way out and Fez Bistro, otherwise known as Taste of Morocco, is moving over from City Place to takes its place. Never did try ToM, but I do have to say I'm interested to see what Fez Bistro will have of offer. Their menu from their Arlington location looks intriguing, but certainly doesn't bowl me over. A lot of offerings for groups. But I do plan to eat there more than I did at Langano - which was never. I only went in once when I mistakenly went there to pick up my take out from Bombay Gaylord. Didn't take me long to figure out I was one block off.

And with Cake Love moving from its current location to 8512 Fenton, taking over for the Fractured Prune, we'll have another sweet from which to choose via FroZen Yo. Not sure exactly when we'll be getting the self-serve yogurt, but Cake Love is planning to throw open its Fenton St doors in early March.

Finally, in the bottom of the Crescent condo bldg on Wayne, we have a new Asian restaurant for the hood. It is called Skew Works. According to the web site TBD.com, the owner of the restaurant says they'll serve, "rice, noodles, and of course there's a big skewer out there, so there's going to be lots of skewers. Different types of meat, chicken, fruits, vegetables. It's going to be fun." OK, I'm kinda interested in skewers; let's see what they have to offer. Could be opening soon.

7 comments:

Jill said...

No way--we're really getting a fro-yo place? I've only recently tried the stuff, and I'm totally hooked. This could be trouble. . .

JK said...

I live in the Crescent. Went to a free pre-opening celebration of Skew Works today. I was not impressed. Hopefully they will take our comments to fix things in the next couple of weeks. Would be nice to have a good cheap restaurant in our building, but right now it's just looking like a cheap restaurant.

Jeff said...

Have to disagree with "Baby Mama". I also live in the Crescent, and pretty much everything they served was excellent. Their peanut sauce went great with everything, and their beef skewers were excellently flavored.

The opening date is March 9th, btw.

Anonymous said...

Also live in the Crescent! It was good, considering it was a dry run - improvements will be made.

I can't wait to try the full menu!

socoblogboy said...

Let's see, we have a "not impressed", a "good" and also an "excellent." It appears Skew Works cannot be all things for all customers. But it's nice to hear they did a free pre-opening for Crescent dwellers. I hope they do take into consideration the comments and we end up with better than just a run-of-the-mill Asian restaurant. The jury is out.

Anonymous said...

I also live in the Crescent. My fiance and I tried their food and we both considered it to be very well done. The food is unique - not quite asian bistro, not quite thai derm - and none of it was overly greasy. Some of the options were better (curry puff pastry, chicken skewer) than others (beef skewer, fried wonton), but all-in-all I think they have found a nice niche. I'm looking forward to stopping by there on nights we don't want to go out to 8407 or other high-end places.

Anonymous said...

From the signs in the windows at Langano, it appears that Langano will remain in half its old space and Fez Bistro is taking the other half.