Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Reminder and updates

I'll make the reminder quick -- this Sunday (2:00-5:00) in downtown, Taste of Fenton Village. I know it's all over the local blogs but wanted to make sure you didn't forget. Let's hope the weather cooperates. But rain is in the forecast, so make sure to bring your brolly.

On the updates, if you missed the news on Thayer Ave, Highland Market has now opened up their 'restaurant.'

As you can see, they have fancied up the place some with tablecloths and everything, but other than that, it does look pretty much the same. I know they do now have an expanded menu, but aesthectically it doesn't appear too much has changed. I will say they have a roped off section on the sidewalk now for al fresco dining.

We also have another Ethiopian food option coming in the form of a market. The new place is to be called Arat Kilo Market and it is taking over for the old Siembra First/Forever Frugal location behind Alliance Comics on Easley.

I can't say that I ever saw the doors open for either one of these establishments. But even though I am not thrilled with the entry of another Ethiopian food establishment, I do wish them better luck than the previous tenants.

And at least to me, we may be reaching the threshold soon to be called Little Ethiopia. I mean, how much more will it take? We have several restaurants and now multiple markets in about a one-square mile area from around Colesville to the DC line. I guess we'll know we've made it when the neighborhood produces a world-class middle/long-distance runner.

On to a couple other items. In the old Sage Collection clothing shop (8225 Georgia), right next to the Big Greek Cafe, a new and kinda odd cafe is on the way. The photocopied sign in the window says, "One big living room." What in the hell does that mean? The place could be close to opening. It doesn't appear much more than a coffee shop with a few tables. I would have rather seen the Greeks take it over personally.

And finally, I hope you're not holding your breath for the new establishment taking over for Nicaro/Newcaro. Because that place has been pretty much gutted. I always thought the interior of the place was fine. But I guess the new owner wants to start from scratch. He must be sinking some decent money into the place. Let's see how it turns out.

OK, see you Sunday. I'll be the one with a gyro in one hand, a papadam in the other and some curried vegetables in my mouth. And let's not forget, some Alka-Seltzer in my back pocket.

No comments: