Sunday, June 1, 2008

Delivered to your door


I thought I’d start rolling with a mention of a family farm just north of Frederick called South Mountain Creamery (SMC).
https://www.southmountaincreamery.com/index-1.html

Now I know this about 50 miles from SoCo, but the thing is – they deliver to the ‘hood! Well, they actually deliver to pretty much the entire DC metro area, but that’s beside the point. The point is, you can get fresh milk (in those great glass bottles) from MD cows delivered right to your home. Chocolate and strawberry milk too – mmm, Homer like chocolate milk. And I think it tops the good ‘ol stuff – you know, Nestle Quik.




OK, back to the topic. SMC has a wide variety of MD goods (and out of state too) that includes bread, eggs, meats, cheese, jellies, coffee, sometimes seafood and more. You’ll need to check out their web site or contact them if you want to find out the sourcing for all their stuff. I know the pork is from MD and SMC raises their own cows so you have the beef and milk covered. But other items such as their wonderful OJ is from Florida and the poultry comes from a farm in NY State.

And for crab fans they currently have in stock MD backfin crabmeat. I ordered some a couple weeks ago and it made some terrific crab cakes!! And get this, it is half the price of the MD crabmeat that I saw at Whole Foods recently. I’m glad Whole Foods is selling MD crabmeat – but $39.99 a pound is a bit too rich for my blood. In general, the prices for many of the items at SMC are comparable to Whole Foods. But wouldn’t you rather help support this MD family farm than that grocery store. If you’re like me, they get too much of your money to start. SMC does levy a delivery fee, but it’s just $3.75 (went up a $0.25 recently). OK, check ‘em out.

No comments: