Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Lobster in SoCo?

Well, do pictures count? 'Cause I can tell you right now you're not gonna get lobster this good in our hood. Now granted, the tails on these guys aren't the biggest, but man, they were good.

I'm a bit hesitant to give the details about where they were purchased, but since I probably can count the numbers of readers of this blog on 2 hands, I think I'm OK. If you haven't visited Georgetown, Maine, I highly recommend it. These guys were purchased from the 5 Islands Lobster Company in what arguably is the most picturesque harbor in the state - or the east coast for that matter.

Part of the reason for their small size is that in August most of the lobsters brought in by the local lobstermen are shedders (soft-shell). These typically come in smaller than the hard shells. But unlike the soft-shells we're used to, you don't eat the entire crustacean. But the shell is easier to crack than the hard-shells. I took these luscious creatures and first steamed them and followed that up with some grill time and a nice garlic-butter sauce. Heaven on a plate!

Earlier in the week, my partner and I went the more traditional route and had lobster rolls and some rings. These luscious sandwiches were purchased at Mama D's which now makes it home right out of the Georgetown Country store. Mama D took over the counter at the store earlier in the year and expanded the menu. And I am glad they did! The rolls were fab - not too much mayo or other filler and just a small piece of lettuce to add a crunch. And as you can see from just looking at those rings - wow. They were simply thinly sliced onions before we put in the order, but then they were floured and dropped in the fryer. And that order is a small!!

My one complaint, you can't get a beer when eating at the counter. The store has plenty of brews, but they don't have the license to sell them for consumption inside. It was a hardship - but I did overcome it.

I'll end this non-SoCo post with one more pic; this one is from the Portland Farmer's Market. This market, in Deering Oaks Park, is held every Saturday from April to October. (Editor's comment - if this farmer's market can start in April, I think the much warmer Silver Spring market can start earlier than May, right?) Anyway, given the cooler temperatures in Portland, their produce was about a month or so behind ours. As you can see they had some wonderful carrots, onion and beets for sale. In addition, there was plenty of potatoes, cucumbers, tomatoes along with some good looking beef and pork products. You couldn't ask for much else. We stocked up well for our week long stay in 5 Islands. One item that was missing was Maine cheese.

But luckily, we remedied that problem by driving to a great little farm about 45 minutes from Portland - Nezinscott Farm (they don't have their own website but you can check out this link with a short video of the farm). And OK I lied, one more pic.

These happy cows provided us with some wonderful cheese for the week (helped out by some sheep). We also appreciated the offering brought forth by their pork colleagues which produced some award-winning bacon. Needless to say, with the amount of pork, butter, lobster and other foods consumed last week, my arteries are now on vacation.

But it was all worth it. The Portland/Georgetown area is not too far from SoCo (under 600 miles). We were able to pull into Portland on a Friday afternoon (4:00) with a 6:30AM start. Not too bad. And unlike my childhood days, we even stopped for bathroom breaks and a quick lunch.

All right, I have gone on more than long enough with my non-SoCo post. I'll be back soon with some fresh news about some hot and hip local dining destination. On second thought, maybe I'll just write about someplace in our neighborhood.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I can't support a meal in which a living, feeling animal is steamed or boiled to death. Nothing justifies that kind of cruelty.

socoblogboy said...

In response, it took me a long time to get to this point of actually cooking the lobster. But I wanted to do it myself - since I was going to eat it - rather than have someone else kill it (where it would still suffer). And then there's the larger point of slaughtering any kind of animal for human consumption. That is a major reason why I started this blog and why I'm very supportive of the local/sustainable farm movement. But for these Maine lobsters I did my research ahead of time and tried to use the most humane way possible to kill the creatures. So I actually did kill them right before they went in the steamer. I personally would rather see these lobsters or any kind of creature live a decent life (in the ocean, on a farm) before being sacrificed for our lunch/dinner. And trust me, I thanked those lobsters profusely for giving their lives to provide me food.

Anonymous said...

socoblogboy, you're a welcome exception to the people who don't bother to concern themselves with the animals they eat. That was a very decent thing of you to do.

Philosophically I am opposed to killing animals for food, but as a practical matter my main concern is the pain and suffering they endure before and during death, so from that latter perspective, I can't fault you and in fact admire your actions.

socoblogboy said...

Springvale Roader, thanks for the kind words. Glad I'm not on your shit list anymore.

Sara said...

Oh my god I could eat 5 of those lobster rolls right now for breakfast. And your grilled lobster looks divine. I want to go on a socoblogboy foodie vacation.