Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Salted Cured Meats - Update!

If you're like me, I know you've been waiting with bated breath for the arrival of our own SoCo establishment specializing in salted cured meats. And yes, the San Daniele proscuitto sold at Whole Foods is wonderful, but I would love more variety and the option to buy other cured meats from my homeland.

If you're not sure what the hell I'm talking about, well I'm talking about the new place being planned by local restaurateurs Jackie Greenbaum and Patrick Higgins. They plan to open Jackie's A Go-Go right next door to their current Sligo Ave hot spot - Jackie's. At first the plan was simply to take over the space previously occupied by Decade Hair Design. But now, the salon on the western edge of the building - Salon Kisash - has also gone under (side note - what's going on with SoCo? Two salons going under in only a few short months. Did neither do Dominican braiding?). According to the grand dame herself, with the extra square footage, they are now contemplating a pizza counter too.

But we can certainly expect a lot more out of the shop than cured meats and possibly pizza. In a February article in the City Paper, Jackie describes a shop that will be part take-out, package store, bakery, chocolate shop, housewares, and tchotchkes. But - not all at once. She plans to start small and build up to the full panoply of goods and services.

As of early August, there is still no specific ETA for the Go-Go. The City Paper article stated a March '08 opening, but we are 4 full months past March and walking by the shop the other day, it did not look ready for prime-time yet. I would wager we're looking at closer to the end of the year. But, I for one am happy to wait. Having a spot like this in the 'hood will be fabulous!

While I am not a huge fan of the crowd which now frequents Jackie's - to me it's turning too much into a scene-place rather than a spot for serious diners - I am more than ready to turn over a percentage of my earnings to purchase fresh bread, some good vino and quality cured meats. Once I hear more I'll pass it along.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The food quality at Jackie's has completely deteriorated. I've been there about 10 times over the past 2 years. First 6 excellent. Next 2 so-so... last 2, frickin' atrocious. I hope they get their _hit together before opening up any new places.

socoblogboy said...

That's unfortunate to hear. But I used to be a regular too...

And now with the new additions to the 'hood I haven't been back. However I am hopeful this place will be as good as it sounds. We shall see.

Anonymous said...

Now if they can only add stinky tofu and other veggie treats to their list of goods.

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more about the problems with Jackie's. The quality of service also seems to have declined at the same rate as the quality of food. I want to like the place, but every time I go, Jackie's gives me more reasons not to.