Saturday, December 6, 2008

Across the Street Cafe

OK, I'll admit I am starting out with a bias. I think the name is terrible. C'mon, Across the Street Cafe - couldn't they be a bit more creative.
If you don't know already, they are right across the street from the AFI at 8622 Colesville Rd.

But I didn't want the name to stop me from trying a new place in the hood. And unlike most other times when I've tried new places, I actually had several people joining me. I thought great, I'll be able to comment on several dishes.

But it was not meant to be. Although both the web site and the sign on the restaurant state an 11:00 AM opening for brunch on Saturday, the restaurant was locked tight. They did post a sign that said returning at 11:30, but we were all pretty dubious about that. The time was 11:25 and no lights were on in the restaurant and nothing looked like the place would be ready to roll in 5 minutes.

This was pretty disappointing. The brunch menu looks good and the prices are reasonable. They're serving a variety of egg dishes, a few different kinds of Benedict's, smoked salmon and bagel. All the stuff one might expect to find. But who knows what happened. Not sure if other folks have experienced this, but I am curious to hear. Also, if folks have tried it, let me know so maybe we can start a buzz and encourage them to open on time.

I will note that the new place next door - and no, it is not called that - Sabroso Grill was open and serving. We checked it out, but it is not a brunch place. They had lunch going though. A pretty meaty place. I will admit it did smell good. Might try them on another occasion.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I had heard mixed things about the place, and I agree the name leaves something to be desired. When (IF) the Fillmore opens up, it'll be on the same side of the street as something big. Will they have to change the name?

And on a different note, is the north side of Colesville still your territory? ;-)

Vagrarian said...

Try Sabroso. I really like it; go there about once a week for lunch.

Anonymous said...

I tried Across the Street Cafe this week and really liked it. The food was good and the owner is really friendly. I want to go back to try the brunch.

Unknown said...

Across the Street Cafe has great food! Too bad about your brunch experience; I've only been there for dinner, and it's consistently delicious food; reasonable prices; friendly service. Give them another try. This is a restaurant SS needs to support because it actually has very good food.

Anonymous said...

I like the food, and I've had several different dishes. It's definitely my favorite place on the block.

Anonymous said...

Interesting blog you got here. I'd like to read a bit more concerning that matter.
By the way check the design I've made myself Companionship in London