Thursday, July 16, 2009

Pizza on the Avenue?

I'm not holding my breath on walking to a good brick oven pizza place anytime soon, but I am glad to see someone interested in renovating Georgia Blue, the beat up little hovel which sits just to the north of the World Building. Not sure when the last time Georgia Blue served anything, but Google still lists the proprietor of 8113 Georgia Ave as Polonez Gourmet Deli. The only thing I know about Polonez is that is was a Polish deli. If they made pierogies I would have been set. Man, I love those little potato filled guys.

Anyway, as was reported a couple months back in the SS Penguin, next up for 8113 Georgia Ave looks like Pacci's, Brick Oven Pizzeria. Penguin staff reported the owners of Mrs' K's are behind this move. While I did not speak to anyone at Mrs K's, the MD Dept of Assessments and Taxation does list the same address for the ownership group of Mrs K's (Quick Cuisine) and Pacci's (8113 LLC).

I'm not overly concerned about this as long as Pizza Hut or Papa John's is not trying to fool us like Coor's tries to do with the beer drinking masses with its Blue Moon, Belgian-style beer.

I've always believed that spot had potential and it's disappointing to see it there empty. And what's the deal with the awning on the north side of the building? It looks like at some point it could have been part of a pick up window. Could there actually have been a drive-through place for pierogies? Oh man, I'm dying.

Well, let's see about Pacci's. I've seen no workers outside the building and I cannot see anything that's been done to the building. It doesn't fill me with a lot of hope for something coming anytime this year or even next year. Moreover, the tight credit markets don't help. I guess if things do fall through I'll look into this spot for myself. As I've said, I like the spot and maybe my Italian deli/market/sandwich shop would do well there. Perhaps in a couple years I'll have the financing ready. Probably not, but it's still nice to think about. Any potential customers out there for a nice mortadella sandwich or maybe grilled eggplant with ricotta on some crusty Italian bread?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Give me a nice mortadella sandwich with soft white Italian bread and some sweet mozarella and you'll have a customer for life. _Thayer-D

socoblogboy said...

Hey, one for you and one for me. I am very hopeful I can pull this off in the next few years. But if you need a fix sooner than that, you can head to Santucci's (Colesville and University) or to Litteri's over in NE DC (near Gallaudet) or Dean & Deluca in G'town.

Springvale Roader said...

Pizza on the Road, too. Yesterday I saw that "Flippin' Pizza" is opening up on Colesville Road, in that group of formerly burned out buildings across from Discovery.

Hey, maybe Silver Spring will become a pizza mecca. Add in some decent bagels, and we might reach civilized status yet.

Anonymous said...

Worst service EVERY. Don't bother with it unless you want to wait 1 hour for a basic, small, and highly overpriced pizza. Lied to twice about pizza's being in the over when they weren't and also being after other who actually got there after us yet were served first. And it was lunch time with extra staff just milling about doing nothing.

Simply awful. Skip it.