Friday, September 18, 2009

Back in town

Well, I missed the inaugural flea market. It sounded good, but not great. I'm certainly glad something got going in that parking lot. I'm sure if it can keep going, it will improve in time.
I was out of town for a week - in Pittsburgh - but I am back and ready to eat some good SS grub.

While I was out, I did have to make a couple pilgrimages. First, to Primanti Brothers. If you're not familiar with them, their sandwiches are served on good Italian bread along with your choice of meats, or fish (even imported sardines), egg or cheese. In addition, they also come with a big handful of french fries shoved on top and cole slaw. Not the healthiest sandwich around, but definitely a Pittsburgh classic. I had the colossal fish and a couple beers. When in Rome, right? I mean who can pass up the classic taste of an Iron City Light. Certainly not me.

My second pilgrimage was for pierogies to a classic spot just outside the city in the working-class town of McKees Rocks. The place is called Pierogies Plus. It is run by a bunch of older Polish ladies and man, do they make some mean pierogies. I brought back 5 dozen with me - some plain, potato/cheese, sauerkraut - a nice mix. I haven't fried any of them up yet - with butter and onions of course - but I have plenty of times in the past and I know these will be spectacular.

But now since I'm back in SoCo, I need to find some worthwhile news to write about. I'll do some digging this weekend and see what I can unearth. Is it time to give the new Nicaro a try? Not sure I'm ready for that.

3 comments:

Anonymous French Fry Addict said...

I lived in Pittsburgh for five years during grad school. I am glad that you mentioned the Primanti Brothers; that place is definitely something of a Pittsburgh tradition. But it is with sadness that I note you were too late to experience the greatest of all Pittsburgh eateries, the Oakland Original Hotdog Shop.

Words fail me here. The "O" (aka "the Original") was a one off. Something you almost certainly cannot replicate. During its heyday in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, it perfected not only the hotdog, but also the french fry. That sounds pedestrian, or mundane, or just plain silly, but it's true: the very best french fries on the planet were very likely served at the O at almost any random time you could pick over a 20 year period. Alas, now they are gone, victim of owners gone tone deaf and times that have changed. I mention this because I have the conviction that Silver Spring could definitely become the home to some joint as singular as this, and if it were to happen, I have faith that everybody in the are would realize this and brag about the place until it literally had to be covered by the Food Channel. I am not saying that a fine dining experience could not or should not be had in downtown Silver Spring, but if we could make a stab at greatness, it would likely be something more like the Oakland Original and less like something you would find in downtown Bethesda.*

* OK, so that was perhaps too stereotypical. The very best fast lunch food I have encountered in the DC metro area has actually been at the Stromboli Family Restaurant in the heart of Bethesda. They must either own the place outright or have a billion year lease, but the strombolis there are truly magnificient.

Springvale Roader said...

If you don't review the new Nicaro, I won't know anything about it. That's because I just looked at their menu (online), and I'm surprised it doesn't include these words at the top: "Vegetarians Not Welcome."

Looks like I'll keep going next door to Olazzo for my pasta a la checca.

AmyMas said...

Springvale Roader,
We almost went into Nicaro the other night and just couldn't cross the threshold. Something about the menu just seems odd. It's too scattered, sort of Caribbean, sort of American, sort of Cajun. Sort of confusing. Also, the "fish sub" just sounds weird. I also find it troubling that they haven't changed the name and also don't have a sign up saying under new management. So they are essentially riding on Pedro's coat tails. I know we really have to check it out and review it, but we'll have to get past the off putting menu. Thank goodness for Olazzo's consistently good food and great service.