Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Mediterranean So-Co Style

So, we got a hankering for some falafel on Sunday afternoon and thought, OMG, where can we find good fried chick peas in our neighborhood? And then we were like, oh yeah, who doesn’t sell this stuff around here anymore.

But alas, when we tried the door at the Big Creek Café
, it was locked tight. Damn those God fearing Greeks. Just kidding, I’m sure those guys work hard enough. They need the place shut down one day a week just for recovery -- whether it’s physical or spiritual. But instead of heading north on Georgia to the Greek Place – it’s kinda on our do not patronize list after hearing stories from Nikos and Simos at the BGC – we decided to head south.

In actuality we were planning to get a couple calzones at Vicino (they are quite good), but then we walked past Taste of Jerusalem (8123 Georgia Ave, next to the World Building). We stopped. We pondered. We checked out the menu. And since it was so nice outside, we sat in their sidewalk patio and figured we’d give them another try. We first ate at ToJ right after they opened a few years ago. We liked it OK, but weren’t blown away and we thought the prices were a little steep compared to the food quality. On top of that, the place lacked any ambiance at all. The lights were quite bright throughout the entire dining room.

But we figured it was the afternoon this time, we planned to eat al fresco anyway, and we could see from the menu that the mezza prices were reasonable. We tried four different dishes. Two were really good, and two were just so-so. I’ll start with the latter.

The two so-so dishes were spinach fatayer and the lebneh. We’ve had spinach pies a lot of times before and these just didn’t rate with the others. First I don’t think there was enough spinach filling, and second, the dough was a little too soggy on the inside. I would have liked it to have been more flaky. The other dish, lebneh (home-made cheese topped with olive oil), was a decent starter, but it didn’t pack a whole lot of taste. It might have been a bit too mild for my taste. But either way, it would have been much improved had the pitas we were served to scoop up the cheese had been of better quality.

OK, but I did say we really liked two dishes – those were the hummus and the falafel. We scarfed down both of those pretty quick – even with the lackluster pitas. The hummus was very tasty, not too much tahini, with a nice puddle of olive oil in the middle. While we really liked the hummus, the falafel was fabulous. These were 5 little heavenly balls of fried of chick peas. In my opinion, these rate better than the ones served at both our Georgia Ave Greek places and at Lebanese Taverna. And I’m glad I got them on their own and not in a falafel sandwich, because I think the pitas would most definitely have taken away from those fine little chick pea balls. On top of all that, these two dishes were the cheapest of the four - $4.95 and $5.50 respectively. I will also say the service was friendly and prompt.

I am not quite ready to say I’ll be back there soon. But I certainly will be tempted to go back for lunch at some point and order more hummus and falafel. They have a lot of other good veggie options to try as well – Baba Ghannouge, Tabboule, M’Saka, and lentil soup to name a few.

I’m a bit surprised to see that ToJ has lasted as long as it has. It never appears terribly busy. With three other restaurants in the hood serving similar fare – typically at lower prices – I’ll be keeping my eye on them to see if they can keep their doors open. I hope they can and I’ll try to throw more of my business their way.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just moved to Wheaton from downtown Silver Spring, and I've gotta say that the falafel at Max's Kosher Cafe in Wheaton is hands down the best I've ever had. They serve them (with our w/o a pita) at a lunch counter, so you can stand there and tell them what toppings you want in the pita sandwich (cabbage, garlic sauce, tahini, pickled onions, all sorts of stuff). The only thing to know is that they're closed on Saturdays.

socoblogboy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
socoblogboy said...

Agreed about Max's. I haven't been in a while, but their falafel is the tops. If I could walk there, I'd be all over it. I love that toppings bar. If that same guy still works the bar, it looks like he spent a lot of time in the Israeli Army. So you better know the toppings you want when it's your turn.

Springvale Roader said...

Max' falafel bar reminds me of the wonderful falafel bars in Israel. One could spend the entire day in an Israeli city falafel bar hopping, including drink a Maccabee beer at each one (this Mac's for you).

That said, I was seriously offput by how unclean Max was the last time I was there. It was so dirty, in fact, that I decided not to return.

As for J.C., I agree that it is more expensive than warranted. The dining room is more suited for dinner, which is what we had there and which we enjoyed, but I too am mystified by its continuing existence given what seems like a severe dearth of customers.

Thayer Avenue said...

I've often said that Taste of Jerusalem has the best falafel around. And it's a shame I haven't been back in a while. Thanks for the post - just what I need to get back down there.

As for Max's, I used to go there a lot - mainly for the schwarma. But I agree that the place always looks dirty, and most of the food there seems to be, shall we say, less and less kind to me.

Anonymous said...

Here I thought I was the only one that thought Max's Kosher Cafe was disgustingly dirty. There was literally feces marks on the walls of the restroom.. that said it all. Unfortunately I saw that AFTER I ate a very boring pastrami on rye. I don't see anything special about this place, it has the feel of an inner city school cafeteria (stale, depressing, old, unclean).