Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Happy Holidays

Just wanted to wish folks happy holidays. I hope you eat some wonderful meals during this festive time.

My Feast of Seven Fishes seems to be coming together nicely. I'll post some pics soon. I think we might end up with more than 7 fishes though. But who's counting. I'll also report on an Italian digestivo I'm serving. Our County liquor store did not carry this variety (Fernet-Branca), but were very nice and brought in a few bottles for me. Although I only needed one. I hear it's an acquired taste. We'll see how it goes.

And I'd love to hear from anyone who's been over to the caramel shop -- Velatis -- on Georgia Ave. I know they opened about a week ago. I think I'll make my way over tomorrow so I can include some of their goodies as part of the dolci for our Feast.

OK, go on now and eat, drink and be merry!

6 comments:

Easley Does It said...

I have been to Velati's, and the folks behind the counter could not have been nicer. Unfortunately for me, I have two temporary crowns at the moment, so I can't be messing with the caramels right now. But I did have a few of their truffles, which were delicious! A welcome--and dangerous--addition to the neighborhood!

Vagrarian said...

I took a box of Velatis' "sugary" caramels, that are non-chewy and more like fudge, home for the holidays. My family chomped them up...not horribly sweet, but with a wonderful flavor. And I agree that the folks behind the counter can't be nicer, and the smells when you walk in are rapturous.

MoistVanLipwig said...

I stopped by the second day it was open, and it was a touch crazy. I'm not a fan of chewy caramels, but the sugary pralines are magnificent. I got two pounds which were gobbled up by friends and family over the holiday. And true, the staff are as friendly as can be.

Springvale Roader said...

We too went to Velati's and had a very nice experience with the staff there. Even though there were no candies for my wife and I too eat (they all had animal products in them), our relatives loved the chewy and non-chewy caramels we brought for them.

Even if I can't eat the stuff, just ducking inside the store for a deep whiff is worth it. They should bottle that aroma and sell it as a perfume.

socoblogboy said...

I finally got my first taste of a Velatis' candy last night at a friend's house. I tried one of their "turtles." It was quite good - pecans, caramel, a little chocolate and sprinkled with salt on top. I think it was the salt that really made it. Let's hope that after the holiday rush their business remains steady.

Anonymous said...

Great blog socoboy! But where are all the photos from your feast, along with detailed descriptions of each course? You're letting your fans down.
Remember to try the Fractured Prune for a nice, fresh-tasting donut. It reminded me of the kind I used to get when the firehouse made them for their annual fundraiser.
Erin from EaFe (east of fenton...think it'll catch on?)