Tuesday, December 8, 2009

News and notes

OK, I have a few things to report on the local restaurant and dining scene.

First, it looks like our new caramel shop, Velatis (8408 Georgia Ave), may be opening its doors this weekend. So you better get to the dentist to make sure your teeth are up to this task. These are sugary sweets - so come prepared. My wife and I walked by today and there were about a dozen people inside making preparations. They had planned to open last month, but alas, we are in Mont. County aren't we.

But they will certainly be open to supply much of our sugar needs for the holidays. We learned the family who started the shop had both Italian and Greek ancestry - not a bad combo. And while the Velatis' sold the shop in the 1990s, the recipes made today are the originals! I look forward to chowing down on some caramels - which will be made right at the SS shop - very soon.

Next up, just south of Velatis, and immediately south of Pyramid Atlantic, in a former pawn shop, is a building that is undergoing tremendous renovation. I'm sure if you've driven or walked by you have noticed the transformation. It's not done yet, but it certainly stands out on the Avenue. It's quite a mod design. Anyway, I just learned that the owners are looking to lease the space downstairs to a restaurateur. The upstairs will contain a business of some sorts. But who really cares about that. No one has leased the first floor space yet, but you can be sure I will stay on top of this one. If the restaurant matches the setting, you can be sure it'll be a nice place.

I also heard that our new pizza place, Pacci's, had its brick oven delivered last night. It is so big it had to come through the ceiling. Wow! I can't wait to order an extra large pie there! But it looks like we'll still have to wait a while till any of us can do that. It appears Pacci's and 8407 are in line for spring openings. But I think most of us expected that anyway.

And while I cannot confirm this, rumor has it that Mayorga (8040 Georgia Ave) will be shutting its doors on their SS location. I'm not sure how much business they do since I have not set foot in the place in at least two years, but I just assumed they were doing OK. Maybe the recession hit them like other places? I guess if you're interested in getting one of their brews, you'll have to truck your way over to Rockville. If anyone can confirm or refute this news, please let me know.

One last thing, Frank Morales, is taking over for Sam Adkins as head chef at Jackie's. Morales was previously the chef at a place in Alexandria called Rustico. While I have never eaten at this establishment, it has received good reviews. He gets good marks for creating gastropub fare that matches well with beer. I look forward to seeing his influence soon at Jackie's. I'll try to get some more info on Morales and his plans for downtown SS. But it's obvious he prefers downtown SS over stuffy old Alexandria. As always, SS rulz!

7 comments:

squirrelist said...

Mayorga IS closing down at the end of the year. I'll be sad to see it go. I long for the days when their coffee was good, their service was quick, and their food was tasty. They've been letting it slide lately and the only thing they have left is their location and their atmosphere.

Just to be clear, the coffee they served was lousy compared to the beans they sold. I hope Giant continues to carry their beans, as they are the best I can find.

socoblogboy said...

Thanks for the confirmation. It seems with that location and the development down EW highway that another establishment should likely take up residence in their spot. Maybe another full service braiding salon?? With the square footage over there that could be one tricked out shop!

WashingtonGardener said...

Nowwho knows how to pronounce "Velatis" - I have not heard the same way twice and it does not exactly roll off the tongue.

WashingtonGardener said...

PS Velatis is open - walked by today and crowd inside!

socoblogboy said...

Let the caramel buying (and eating) begin!

Anonymous said...

Talked to a manager, Mayorga IS closing end of the year, but they are looking for a new space nearby. Main reason they gave wasn't the recession so much but the neverending construction nearby that wiped out the local parking. At this point I'm out of coffee houses: Kristen's gone, Savory gone, Mayorga gone, that coffee shop on Wayne across from downtown SS gone. I'm afraid to start going to Keva, it might drive them out of business!

socoblogboy said...

Anonymous,
I think Kefa Cafe can handle you as a customer, since they've been thriving over on Bonifant for more than 10 years. Also, Highland Origin Coffee House on the corner of Fenton and Silver Spring Avenue has very good coffee and free wifi. For goodness sakes, don't let Mayorga's departure drive you to Starbucks.
Socoblogirl