Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Peruvian chicken?

Yes, it is on the way. Casa de Pollo is taking over at the spot last occupied by Roger Miller (941 Bonifant St). But don't try to link to their website (casadepollo.com) yet since it appears they have yet to purchase it. Go Daddy is selling it for $69.99.

Anyway, according to the proprietors, their hope is to open this week.

However, I am a bit dubious about the authenticity of the Peruvian chicken coming into SoCo. I stopped by the restaurant on Saturday as I walked to the farmers market and noticed activity inside.

I knocked on the door and was greeted by the new owners. I don't want to stereotype, but I had a hunch they were not Peruvian. But when asked about it, the reply was, "You don't think we're from Peru?"

OK, I didn't want to make assumptions. But then as the conversation progressed, I was told the restaurant would also be serving African dishes. "We will serve dishes from our homeland, Togo."

All right. Is it Togo or Peru? I did a little checking and was not able to find anything which showed that a lot of Togolese have immigrated to Peru. In addition, the official language is French, not Spanish. Once they officially open I'll try to get to the bottom of this mystery.

But one thing that is not a mystery is what CdP will be serving -- pollo. I was given a semi-glossy postcard menu when I left and it shows that quarter, half and whole chickens will be available to eat there and for take-out. The prices range from $4.65 to $11.95, served with fries, or yucca and salad.

Side dishes will also be available to accompany your chicken, fried yucca and plantains, in addition to rice and beans. I'm doubtful alcohol will be served - at least not right now - but to quench your thirst you can reach for a cold Inkala Cola or perhaps they meant Inka Cola. I've never tried one before but the Wiki description compares it to bubblegum. Sounds refreshing!

So let's welcome what I'm guessing is the only Peruvian-Togolese restaurant in the metro area -- hell, who knows, maybe the country.

3 comments:

Springvale Roader said...

I'd much rather have a Togo-ese resturant than a Peruvian chicken joint, and not just because I don't eat chicken, but because DTSS already has or will have several Peruvian chicken joints. It's as if they're competing with hair salons to see which we can have the most of.

And from a business standpoint, you'd think it would be better to offer a unique food (Togo-ese food) than yet more chicken.

Well, maybe they'll revert to what they know best, not unlike the unfortunately named Planet Bollywood.

Anonymous said...

I talked to probably the same man on Saturday and he told me that the same people who ran Roger Miller and and the same food they served will still be served when they reopen...just under a different name!

WashingtonGardener said...

Ika Kola is indeed bubblegum-like - very sweet -- never went with the Peruvian meals IMHO but fine with say a donut as an indulgent snack.