Monday, March 21, 2011

Societal Fezzing

Doesn't make sense, I know. I was just trying to capture the essence of the 2 restaurants coming to the 'hood.

But don't get too excited; it doesn't appear either will be opening tonight or tomorrow. By the looks of it, I'm guessing Fez Bistro should get their act in gear sooner than Society.

I walked by both today to get a look-see of what was going on. First, the doors were propped open at Society (taking over the old Nicaro and Newcaro spot) and several work men were inside, as you might expect, working! My excellent investigative effort shows a restaurant going through some serious renovations. There were workers both on the bar and restaurant side.

But from the looks of the menu at Island Flavors, the existing restaurant of the entrepreneur opening Society, I have to say I am not terribly excited about it. To someone like me who is not that familiar with Caribbean food, it looks quite similar to the Negril menu. I assume this place will be a couple steps up from Negril, I mean it is a nice space. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if they serve more than curries, roti, plantains, etc.

Across Thayer at Fez (taking over most of what was Langano - although Langano Express is housed right next door - side note, there will be some interesting aromas here), I saw no work going on; but from glancing inside it looked quite closer to being ready for prime time. The place needs much less work than Society and some furniture is already in place. I could see it potentially being open in the next couple weeks.

I guess in the end, I'm a little more excited for Fez. Perusing the menu from their NoVa outpost, they do offer some interesting sounding Moroccan dishes -- various types of cous cous, shawarma, kabobs, seafood, and veggie dishes.

And I still need to get over to Skew Works too (the new Asian fusion fast casual restaurant at the bottom of the Crescent building). And do me a favor, check out their web site - not really sure what to make of it. Anyway, they opened I believe the 1st week of March, but I haven't tried it yet. I want to do a comparison/contrast between Skewers and Thai Market. I'm betting TM is more down-market than Skewers, but at the end of the day, it's essentially pan-Asian fare.

So far on Yelp, SW has a 3, 4 and 5-star rating. Pretty mixed bag so far. But as always, I will be the ultimate judge!

2 comments:

Springvale Roader said...

Society seems like it will be a mess. While the owner appears well-intentioned, he seems to want the restaurant to be a little bit of everything: Carribean, American, sports bar, jazz club. I wish he would settle on one cuisine (upscale Carribean would be fine), and personally, I'd love to have it be a jazz/calypso joint, too.

We walked by Skew Works the other night. It was as flourescently brightly lit as a CVS. A real turn-off for dining in.

Thayer Avenue said...

"Societal Fezzing" would be a great band name.