Saturday, July 26, 2008

DC Restaurant Week

If folks are not aware, the DC restaurant week will be starting soon - August 11. And there are actually a few MD restaurants that participate too. The only one in SoCo is Ceviche. Not that I'd give a strong recommendation to dine at Ceviche even during restaurant week. The last few times eating there, I definitely felt that the quality of the food had gone downhill.

Although I'd be interested in hearing what others had to say since the last time I ate at Ceviche was in 2006.

And for those not aware, the prices for the 3-course lunch is $20.08 and for the 3-course dinner is $35.08. If you want to take a trip into the city there are certainly many places participating where you can find top-notch meals - and probably spend a lot less than you would during other weeks. Some of my faves that have signed on include: Bombay Club (great Indian food); Cafe Atlantico (who doesn't love Jose Andres - and check out his new show on PBS called Made in Spain; it's quite good); Equinox (high-end new American); Sushi-Ko (the best sushi in town in my opinion); and Tosca (fresh and exciting Northern Italian dishes).

In addition, for those who do plan to book, I highly recommend using Open Table. It's a free on-line reservation service. Typically diners get 100 points for each reservation made using the service. Essentially 100 points equals one dollar. It's worth noting that some places have 1,000 point reservations - usually early and late dining during the week. But this is a free service and if you eat out at places found on Open Table it makes sense to book there. I'm now at close to 8,000 points. I figure I need to continue using it a couple more years till I rack up enough points for my partner and I to have a nice meal completely gratis.

Now get out there and enjoy some good food. I will be out of town on vacation that week, so it'd be great to hear from folks on what was good and not so good. I'll do another post on this next month. During that week I will likely only be consuming lobster and beer.

3 comments:

Jessica McFadden said...

Thanks for this great post! I have always been happy with the hors at Ceviche, esp. the empanadas (sorry that I missed the n-yay there) but the desserts are very lacking. My creme brulee a few weeks ago was as cold as a Jello pudding cup, and about as flavorful. Love the mojito though!

Sara said...

Oh, how I miss sharing restaurant week with you guys! Sure it's 8 am, but I could eat at Sushi-Ko *right now*.

Anonymous said...

Lobster and beer, huh? I *know* you have room in that hatchback for someone...

Tom Sietsema (Post Food Critic) always has some good notes about RW that come through his discussion board. Many are focused on DC, but once in a while you can get some good SoCo info.

Thanks for the reminder, and bring back some good stuff!