Thursday, July 17, 2008

Is Nothing Sacred?

Well, it's gone. I was walking to get my usual breakfast of fried rice, egg rolls and a steak and cheese submarine and lo and behold as I went to open the door of the Golden House, there was no door. It was simply not there. I was devastated! I'm not sure the exact timing of the demolition, but needless to say, no one called to inform me about it.

Just kidding - we all know the Golden House has been shut down for months now, maybe more than a year. Who can remember. And also, who can forget walking by and smelling that wonderful fragrance of fast food Chinese. MMMM!

And what's in it for me? A library. Yeah right, reading is overrated. Who wants to have the ability and convenience of reading a book for free, when you call walk down the street and spend $20 for it at Border's? Again, kidding. I will be quite pleased when the day (or should I say year) comes when the SS library will open. I just hope I'm still alive.

And for Golden House, folks know you don't have to travel much farther to taste some of their exciting dishes. If you're not aware, they serve the best "Chicken, Subs, Seafood, Szechuan, Hunan, and Mandarin." That's at least what their website tells me. And hey, I believe them. I don't need independent verification from folks who have eaten there or some high-falutin' newspaper. Why would they lie? Any place where I can order chicken chow fun, a steak, ham and cheese sandwich, and lobster (lobster fried rice that is) all at once is OK in my book. I know the next time I'm hankering for these 3 dishes, I'm walking - no running - to Golden House! Who's with me?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember, this once was a Little Tavern -- one of a small regional chain that lived on into the '90s. Small, onion-speckled burgers somewhat like White Castles (or Krystals, if like me you're from the South). My former wife and I were in there our first weekend in SS, 1985, and I remember a postman lecturing us on the importance of being home next day (which would be Sunday) "'cause the 'skins gonna be on. Everybody in DC watches the 'skins on Sunday!" Another bit of old DC/Baltimore long gone. (though you get a glimpse of one, briefly, near the end of the movie "Diner" when two of the guys take the stripper out for coffee at LT)

Anonymous said...

OMG I love Krystal. Grew up in GA and ate them all the time until those darn health care people let us know how bad they were for us. When I go back to Atlanta, I still can't help but snag a bag of Krystals w/cheese. Mmmm...I can taste that greasy bun now.

socoblogboy said...

Great Diner reference. The 2 guys are Eddie and Billy - I think it's the night before Eddie's wedding. And thanks for the info on Golden House. I did not know it had previously been a LT. Kinda weird to have that one so close in location to the one a few blocks away on Georgia (b/w Thayer and SS Ave).

Anonymous said...

Gotta say, I did like their Pork Fried Rice. Having said that, it took gustatory bravery just to park in the lot, smell their trash dumpster, walk into 1000 degree little storefront, sweat, order, sweat, wait, sweat and leave. Other than that I liked it.
-Ed