Thursday, July 3, 2008

Open air seating at Fresh Starts?

I guess I need to be more observant on my daily commute, because I totally missed this even though I went right by Fresh Starts this morning. But thanks to Jerry McCoy from the SS Historical Society we found out about a car driving into Fresh Starts (8201 Fenton St) at some point during the night. For those not aware, this is mainly a breakfast/lunch place on the NE corner of Fenton St and Silver Spring Ave. I believe its hours are like 7AM-3PM, Mon-Sat.

And I'm not surprised at all given the devoted locals who frequent this establishment that they were still in there this morning eating breakfast amid the glass and debris. Probably had nice breeze.

Jerry points out that the door and windows (both damaged by the wreck) are original to the 1960s building. Let's hope the insurance kept by Fresh Starts will be sufficient so that these can be replaced in their original manner.

Fresh Starts is definitely a throw-back kinda place. Even though the neighborhood is undergoing some serious change I am hopeful they can remain in place. In my opinion places like this help keep the neighborhood real. We don't need to replace everything - all right, I could do with a few less Dominican braiding shops - but we definitely don't need to add chain stores to the Village. I hope those remain in the new development area. What we have south of that is so much more organic and it's unfortunate that those who don't live in the area miss this and often times only see the handiwork of the Peterson Company.

Now I really need to go to Fresh Starts so I can add a real post. It's wierd because while I was walking my dogs last night I was thinking I should check them out this Saturday morning. I wasn't sure if I would order food, but at least go in, order coffee, take a look at the menu. I don't want this blog only highlighting the higher end places in the 'hood. I want to include places such as this, the taqueria on Georgia, and old stand-by's like Vicino.

Thanks again Jerry and let's hope that Fresh Starts can get back on its feet.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where's the obligatory "drive thru" joke?

The threshold for being considered "historical" continues to get reduced in Silver Spring. It's now up to the 1960's, according to the SSHS.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous,

No it's not according to the Silver Spring Historical Society. It's according to the United States Department of the Interior.

2010 will mark the 50 year rule for buildings constructed in 1960 to be eligible for historic designation.

8201 Fenton Street opened in 1963. It will be eligible in 2013. SSHS considers this building, along with Weller's Dry Cleaners at the end of the block, to be the best examples of 1960s architecture in Fenton Village and worthy of preservation.

Jerry A. McCoy
President
Silver Spring Historical Society
www.sshistory.org

Anonymous said...

I'd like to direct "Anonymous" and others out there who are having a difficult time comprehending the historical importance of building constructed in what has been termed by preservationists as the "recent past" to the Recent Past Preservation Network at http://www.recentpast.org/ .

Anonymous said...

There are a lot of piece of crap cars made in the late 70's that are now eligible to get a "historic" tag from the DMV. That doesn't mean they are "historic" in the traditional sense of the word.

We are not talking about the TWA Terminal at JFK or anything.

Anonymous said...

The Recent Past Preservation Network puts that picture of "Richard Neutra's 1963 Mariners' Medical Arts Center in Newport Beach, CA" up to rally around? Please tell me there are more flattering pictures that make me think it's worth saving.

If they're going to request "historic status" for a structure made with corrugated steel from 1963, I think they just lost all their indie cred.

Just because it was built in the "recent past" doesn't mean it's necessarily worth saving, but I like the fact that the two sides fighting constantly over this has the potential to create a happy medium (for most) somewhere.

Sligo said...

Even better- they have the Caps Center on their site, as well.

That place was Godawful.

wombat said...

You can't just think about saving the really old stuff. If you tear down everything that's just a little bit old, nothing has a chance to get really old.

And, most of the stuff we build now to replace the things we tear down is no great shakes either. So what's the rush?

Anonymous said...

Can't wait 'til I'm eligible for historic designation. I'd like to be preserved in pickle brine, please. Lamination works, too.

BTW, how's the food at Fresh Starts? I've thought about reviewing it, but it closes before I get up.