Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Long Live The Greek Place

Man, I was so over the Big Greek Cafe. It's time for something new and exciting at 8417 Georgia Ave. And that new and exciting dining spot is: The Greek Place. Now open for business.

So for those jonesing for gyros, hummus, or falafel, you can now get your fix. Well you probably could have before at Lebanese Taverna. But if you specifically need a Greek fix, you're now in luck.

I was told the same hours, same food, same menu, but because of new owners they had to change the name.

Not sure yet exactly what happened on the ownership front. SS Singular reported in March that the Big Greek Cafe was being operated by the same family who have run the Golden Flame since like the 18th century. So I did a little searching on the website for the MD Dept of Assessments and Taxation. However, that provided little clarity.

It was odd. On Feb 16, 2009, a document was filed stating 8417 was now owned by the Big Greek, Inc. Then on April 16 a document was filed stating the trade name of 8417 Georgia Ave was the Big Greek Cafe. But says the president is Jose Carino. Then just last Tues (May 5), another document was filed stating the new name is Taqueria El Mexicano, owned by Carino. What?? The taqueria is certainly long gone. What gives?

But this is probably way more than you want to know, right? Does anyone really care? If so, let me know and I'll dig in more. If not, just get over there and eat some hummus.

9 comments:

Springvale Roader said...

Any Greek beer or retsina available?

Sara said...

Yes yes, but what about the food? I want me a big pile of gyro meat.

socoblogboy said...

No alcohol at this time. And I'm with you, I'd like to wash my food down with a Mythos.

And supposedly the food is the same as before - which folks do appear to really like. I have yet to make that conclusion. I think it's good, but needs a little work. I'll be back to the Greek Place soon to see if anything has changed.

Sligo said...

So strange. When there's something odd like this, it's got to be some sort of tax avoidance strategy.

SIMOS M said...

HEY FRIENDS--
MY NAME IS SIMOS AND I WAS THE CREATOR OF THE BIG GREEK CAFE. WE HAD TO PART WAYS WITH THE PEOPLE OF THAT LOCATION. AS YOU READ IN THE BLOG THINGS ARE REALLY CONFUSING AND MESSY. THE REASON WHY I'M POSTING IS THAT WE WILL BE OPENING THE BIG GREEK CAFE AGAIN IN SILVER SPRING. JOIN US ON FACEBOOK AT THE BIG GREEK CAFE FOR UPDATES ON THE NEW LOCATION

woodside_boomer said...

This is odd. I was just there for dinner. I was told that it was run by the same people as before (makes sense given the exact same menu) but they had to change the name because there was another restaurant by that name in Baltimore. hmm

Anonymous said...

It's very good Greek food with gyros and feta and tempting desserts. Friendly accommodating service.
If you want Mediterrean food with alcohol and atmosphere, walk down two blocks to Taste of Jerusalem, across from the Fire Station. It's another family-owned restaurant with terrific food and friendly service. It's never crowded, and I'm always afraid it won't be there the next time I stop by. Not open on Mondays.

Anonymous said...

I would not go that far, the food is okay at best. The original owners are not their anymore. But I hear they are opening soon. cant wait.

Anonymous said...

YES, THE OWNER OF THE GREEK PLACE WAS THE OWNER OF THE MEXICAN RESTAURANT THAT WAS THERE BEFORE.

I GUESS HE DIDN'T APPRECIATE THAT THE BIG GREEK CAFE WAS DOING BETTER THAN HIS BUSINESS WAS AND DECIDED TO TAKE OVER IT AGAIN HENCE THE NAME CHANGE.

SAME FOOD, BUT ITS ALL ABOUT THE PRINCIPAL. HE'S JUST SNEAKY!

CAN'T WAIT FOR THE ORIGINAL BIG GREEK CAFE TO COME BACK!