Now wait a minute, this is a pic of Pedro Matamoros, formerly of Nicaro, right? I mean I googled 'Pedro' and all these pics came up, so I just assumed...
Anyway, we all know who I'm really talking about. I assume most of you SS blog readers have already read on SS Singular or via the Washington Post about Pedro's new dining spot in town - 8407.
Nicaro is just a distant memory now, OK, hold on while I wipe the tears from my eyes. But supposedly we don't have too long to wait - maybe October - for the new digs to open at 8407 Ramsey Ave, right across from the SS metro stop. While I don't expect any exotic Hawaiian-style drinks to be on the menu, I do expect the same kind of top notch food that was served at Nicaro.
Also, I did hear that most - if not all - of the staff who helped make Nicaro such a great place, will be offered employment at 8407. So I do hope to see Rich, Brent, Shola? and maybe others there.
And here's what I hear from Nancy Mola, the former manager at Nicaro, and Pedro's business partner at 8407. First off, the new place is big - 5,800 square feet. They'll have 2 floors, the first will contain a bar and lounge (with couches for what else, lounging). And get this, there are like 6 doors off the main bar that will open up on to Ramsey, so when the weather is nice, this should be fab. You'll be able to start drooling for a drink and a snack as you approach the SS metro stop as the restaurant comes into view.
On the second floor there will be 3 dining rooms, yes 3, along with another bar. There will be seating for approximately 150 folks up on the 2nd floor. Does this mean no waits ever for dinner? I guess we'll see how popular it becomes. And as already reported, 8407 will be doing small plates such as charcuterie, cheeses, and I'm sure much more. You'll be able to order casual items like sandwiches and burgers and more high end choices like a nice local steak. I stress the local because Nancy and Pedro are committed to supporting our local farmers for both meats and veggies - and I hope fish too (although that's a bit more complicated).
Nancy says that 75% of the menu will be available all the time - for lunch, dinner and late night snacks. I assume the other 25% will probably kick in at dinner times. And for those just wanting a coffee and to lounge, wi-fi will be available at the new place.
So keep your eyes and ears out for more news. Nancy, Pedro and others will be looking to spread the word on the new place. For those on Twitter, you can keep up with them at Twitter.com/8407. If I get more info on 8407 - or Nicaro - I'll be sure to do a post. But one note on Nicaro, no one should be holding their breath for them to open next week (the end of the supposed 2 week closing period). Maybe they'll open their doors in August. Till then, keep walking and get your gyro on, or maybe some pasta at Olazzo.