Thursday, October 23, 2008

Don't miss it - last SS Farmer's Market of the year

I know - it is lame. How can our farmer's market end its annual run in October? I mean, it's not like we're living in some frigid climate. It seems the market should run at least till the end of November - and start in April - not May!!

But, this is what we have. It is nice to know that the Takoma Park market runs year-long now. The vendors will start thinning out soon, but there are some stalwarts who make it all the way through the winter.

So if you have some free time this Saturday morning, try to make it over and show a little love to our local farmers. They have still been selling some nice-looking chard and other greens. Also, there have been plenty of potatoes, string beans, cauliflower and fruit too.

You can also still pick up freshly-baked bread. And of course, the goat cheese lady is always out there. And for you carnivores, there's plenty of grass-fed and humanely-raised beef - I think chicken too. I'm hopeful next year that some jamon may be for sale. If you have a hankering now for some pork, I would recommend a vendor at Takoma Park. Their pork is fabulous and it is a very well run farm.

And if you have any veggies still growing at home - I still do - watch out, 'cause I think the first frost will be upon us soon. You may want to consider providing some protection to your plants - maybe a frost blanket - or bringing potted herbs indoors when the frost hits, or if your basil is still good, yank out the plant and freeze it. Just throw your basil in a blender with enough olive oil to liquefy it, pour it into ice trays and after it freezes, stick the cubes in a freezer bag and you'll be set for the cold months. I'll be spending part of my Saturday doing just this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait, what? The FreshFarm website (http://www.freshfarmmarket.org/markets/silver_spring.html) says Nov. 15. I was counting on at least one more week of not standing in the insane egg lines at TP.

socoblogboy said...

I am trying to verify. The SS Penguin says this Sat is the last one. But I do see their website says 11/15. As soon as someone from Fresh Farm Market calls me back I'll let you know.