Thursday, October 9, 2008

New restaurants on the way

Got a tip from a reader - thanks Elliot - about two new places coming to the 'hood soon. The first place is Thai, called Thai Flavor. A less than intriguing name, but I won't write it off for that. Its location is 8650 Colesville Rd, right across the street from City Place. Thai Flavor replaces everyone's favorite, Letty's Latin American Grill - which if you hadn't noticed closed in May. And even though this establishment is not technically south of Colesville - my blog's raison d'etre - I will still blog about it. And no I'm not being serious with that.

While I am very reluctant to turn my back on a restaurant and staff with which I feel very close - Thai Derm on Bonifant - I am kind of excited about Thai Flavor given what I've read. According to a report on Localharvest.org, Thai Flavor is an upscale carry out and eatery that provides a variety of healthier food choices through support from Silver Spring Fresh Farm and Takoma Park Farmers Market. The restaurant says it prides itself on superior service, affordable prices, and amazing taste. They say their goal is simple - excite the customer’s taste buds, provide prompt service, healthier choices and affordable prices.

That all sounds good to me. If they can pull all that together, I would assume they will do quite well. However, that does mean three Thai places in a 3-block area (including Thai at Silver Spring in the Peterson Companies "Downtown" SS). We shall see if we can sustain all three places. And while the restaurant likely won't be opening till the end of the month, their web site is live and a menu is available. So you can plan ahead and figure out what you want now.

And after walking by the restaurant and reviewing its menu, it appears Thai Flavor is smaller and will have a much more limited menu than either Thai Derm or the other one (hey, I'm like John McCain - I can't say the name of my competitor). I'm guessing it'll be more of
a takeout place. It has about a dozen main dishes. But surprisingly, I don't see any tofu. Come on, no tofu! Maybe if their seafood and meat are locally sourced and humanely-raised, it'll be OK (at least for me). But given that no item is more than $8.95 on the menu, I am more than a little dubious. This definitely needs further investigation. Stay tuned!

Now we can only hope that the rest of block gets a bit of a makeover. I mean not to be a hater, but what's the story with Fashion at Times and SS Men's Wear? I can only think they have had long-term leases and their rent still remains pretty low. Does either have a regular clientele?

OK, on to number two. The second place on the way is called Pomegranate Cafe. Pomegranate is set to open in the new luxury apartment building, the Bennington in Silver Spring at 1215 East West Highway. From what Elliot tells me, the film is off the windows and a final inspection has been done. It would appear that Pomegranate should be opening pretty soon.

Other than that, I really can't say much more about this new dining spot. And although earlier in the year a place called the Pomegranate Bistro opened in Potomac (a kosher deli and restaurant), there does not appear to be a connection to our new place. Although if I am wrong , someone please correct me. And if anyone out there has some additional info on Pomegranate please shoot me an e-mail.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "story," at least with Silver Spring Men's Wear, is that the one owning partner of the business...there since 1977...also owns the building.

Anonymous said...

From the July 7, 2004 Silver Spring Gazette:

But just a few doors down, a red "U"-- part of Silver Spring's new marketing campaign -- has been placed on the facade of Silver Spring Men's Wear. Sonia Danshes, the store's owner, couldn't be happier with her business and with redevelopment.

"I love it. I love Silver Spring," she said.

Danshes, whose store has been in Silver Spring for 30 years, can remember when businesses thrived. However, she can also remember when storefronts were vacant and when rats would crawl from the vacant Silver Theatre before it was refurbished.

"Mr. [County Executive Douglas M.] Duncan filled up this downtown. Before, the downtown was going to zero," she said.

She said she's been doing business as usual and although she hasn't seen a huge increase in customers, she's been getting by and is not concerned about her rent.

Danshes' husband, who had owned the store until he died a couple years ago, left enough money for the family to get by, said Joel Danshes, her son.

He said he believes Silver Spring Men's Wear will thrive in the downtown, although there is some concern about competition from the newly built Men's Wearhouse just around the corner.

"I'd hate to think people are coming to Silver Spring Men's Wear and end up at Men's Wearhouse," he said.

socoblogboy said...

Re SS Men's Wear, owning the entire bldg certainly makes it more than feasible to keep your own shop open. I could imagine at some point in the near future where the owner could get top dollar leasing out that space.

Anonymous said...

Oh c'mon, no tofu dishes at Thai Flavor?! What kind of nonsense is that? Yes, they offer a vegetarian pad thai with tofu, but I have never seen a Thai restaurant without a vegetarian section, or at least the option of substituting tofu for meat in dishes like green curry.

And no tofu tod either? This stinks worse than a decaying durian!

Anonymous said...

Yes that block could certainly do with freshening up. Jerry, please note that I didn't say demolish or tear down or even alter in any significant way - merely a lick of paint (and yes, we can use the old lead based paint if it makes you happier). And, dare I say, maybe just maybe some new retail. Don't hate on me Jerry for wanting a nicer Silver Spring. I feel the wrath of the historical society! Aaaghh...