Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Adios El Taqueria, Hello...

Two posts in a row about new dining spots! And this one right in the heart of SoCo. A new Greek place is opening up to take the place of our beloved El Taqueria Mexicano at 8417 Georgia, just south of Bombay Gaylord/Quarry House. I did a post on the taqueria a few months back. The place certainly left a lot to be desired, so I must say I am not heartbroken to see a new restaurant takes its place. Although a good, cheap taqueria in the hood would be fab (and I know folks do love La Bamba - I just need to make my way over there).

Patrons won't have to guess too much about the food focus of the new restaurant . It appears the fellow out front cleaning the windows is the new owner or one of the new owners. My wife spotted him on her way to the subway yesterday morning. He did say it was quite a quick turnaround from the taqueria - seems like a world record to me - and his new spot will be opening perhaps next week.

Don't have a clue yet exactly what types of items they'll be serving outside Greek/Mediterranean. I think we can make a few assumptions about some ingredients we'll see on the menu - lamb, pork, feta cheese, olives, and I assume phyllo pastry for baklava.

All that sounds OK to me. I'm hopeful he'll do a few vegetarian dishes as well, like falafel, tabbouleh, and spanakopita. And that the pitas aren't too thin, and nice and soft. Mmmmm, I love good pita, especially accompanying some yummy hummus! He needs that on the menu too.

Given the arcane liquor laws in the County, I'm not expecting alcohol to be served - at least not at the start - but it would be wonderful if this place could fill a void for inexpensive non-Asian ethnic food in the hood. And if you read my blog, you know I have no knocks about all our wonderful Asian places in the hood - I'm just talking variety. And maybe I'm missing something since I haven't been to the kabob place on Ellsworth. I assume this would be direct competition for the BGC? But mostly I like to avoid Ellsworth except for the farmer's market and the movies.

Let's hope the BGC does better than El Taqueria. It seems like a natural spot for a quick lunch for all the Discovery staffers. I'll do a follow up post as soon as I can stuff my face with some falafel. I can't wait!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greek? Great! We could use a Greek restaurant in DTSS. Sorry for fans of El Taqueria, but the one thing DTSS does not lack for is Mexican/Latino eateries.

I also hope the Greek place has lots of those delicious Greek vegetarian/vegan dishes. And, I truly hope they can at least sell wine and beer.

Grin and bear it, D.C. DTSS is the place to be!

P.S. I can't speak for nowadays, but when the missus and I visited La Bamba about 10 years ago, the place was so filthy we vowed never to return. A good rule of thumb for judging the hygiene of a restaurant is the state of its toilets. Yeesh!