Wednesday, February 11, 2009

New dining spot opens

Yes, even with the credit markets still in free fall, I guess there is still some money out there to help out with a new restaurant opening. And while the new place is not in SoCo it is still good news for the area since the owners have previously run a very good restaurant.

I am talking about Gillian Clark and Robin Smith, the former proprietors of Colorado Kitchen in the Brightwood section of DC. If memory serves, CK closed about two years ago and I had read that Clark and Smith were looking at SS for a new place. Well, what I read was correct since they have now opened the General Store at 6 Post Office Rd, just outside the Beltway near the new National Park Seminary development. Please note, they are only doing take-out at the moment waiting on paperwork from the County to open up the Post Office Tavern in the basement.

While not a walk one can easily make from SoCo, I am sure many folks in the new Seminary development are giddy with excitement with the opening of the General Store. Its first write up was in the Post today in the Good to Go column, and it received good marks. And folks have already found it too. The article states that by Sunday night the restaurant had already run out of chicken and had to close its doors early. That level of business must be a welcome relief for Clark and Smith in this economy.

While my wife and I were one-time regulars at CK, I am hopeful that the General Store will have a few more non-meat choices for its entrees and that Clark won't be as offended if patrons ask for substitutions or perhaps hot sauce for their eggs during brunch. I know on several occasions at CK the server appeared worried when I asked for Tabasco to put on my eggs. It seems if it didn't come with the entree then it wasn't supposed to be added to the entree.

This to me was troubling. I will admit I was never denied hot sauce, but still. We were talking about eggs and it's not like the other dishes were Michelin star quality anyway. Quite frankly I had to ask for my eggs over-medium even though in most places I asked for over-easy. When I asked for over-easy at CK it was like the chef cracked a couple eggs on my plate, it was then placed under the heat lamp for a minute and that was it. Hey I like my eggs runny, but I do want them cooked.

But enough ranting out of me. I wish the best for Clark and Smith at their new location. If the first week is any indication, their new place will thrive.

No comments: