Monday, February 23, 2009

A Fresh Start at Fresh Start?

Well, last summer we reported about the accident that took place at the small restaurant at 8201 Fenton called Fresh Start.

Since that time, the business has been open, but no real repairs have taken place. The broken windows in the front of the restaurant simply had been replaced with plywood. While it did not win any design awards, I don't think the ownership cared too much since their regulars were still making their way in for coffee, breakfast and lunch.

But, over the weekend I spotted what appeared to be real work happening. And I'm thinking it's not just to repair the damage from last summer. The restaurant is shut down for a week (closed till Feb 28th - so hold tight) and maybe, just maybe FS is actually getting a makeover. If you cannot tell from the pic, the whole front of the restaurant has been cordoned off by fencing and at least on Saturday morning, there were workers inside and outside the restaurant making repairs/changes.

My guess is things have not changed at FS too much since its opening. We know the building is from the 1960s, but I'm not sure if FS has been in operation that long. For those not familiar with FS, it's not a true full service restaurant and it's only open in the mornings and afternoons (7AM-3PM) Mondays through Saturdays. Its prices are quite low and seems to have a loyal following among some of our old timers in the 'hood and a lot of local workers who appreciate cheap eats.

While I would like to see some renovations and have FS spruced up a but, I don't want its prices raised dramatically which would likely severely alter its clientele. My fingers are crossed. I'm looking forward to see the changes. Once done, I am committed to finally going and ordering up a toasted egg and cheese sandwich with a cup of Joe. I'm hoping my tab will be in the $3 range.

One last note - if you hadn't noticed, FS lost its neighbor, Douglas Speed Sport Center at 8205 Fenton about a month ago. Another Fenton Village business I had yet to support, but given my lack of knowledge with cars, I'm not sure what I would have bought. I already own some Yosemite Sam mud guards. I didn't need any more. The business, which occupied two store fronts has closed up with no indication it is opening elsewhere. Some new drywall has already been hung to separate the storefronts, so maybe we'll see two new businesses opening some time soon.

We're talking pretty small places, so there's not much room for new proprietors to set up shop. And there already is a braiding shop right next door to 8205, so I think - although not 100% sure - that another hair place was be cropping up.

No comments: