Thursday, February 5, 2009

SS Thai Flavor in Trouble

I was recently notified that the folks running SS Thai Flavor at 8650 Colesville - across from the AFI - have run into really hard times due to the recession. I was forwarded a message from a SS list serv that was written by Wayne Christopher, one of the owners.

Wayne says he was recently laid off
and that his wife Wendy is expecting. At present, he and Wendy - and their 3-year old - have been living with his mom. They are terribly worried since they already lost their home due to foreclosure and are close to losing his Mom's house. In addition, they are struggling mightily to keep up with the rent at the restaurant.

So if you can, Wayne and Wendy are asking folks to come in and order some great Thai food. While I have yet to make it over to Thai Flavor, I am told they serve terrific food, the prices are cheap, and are super friendly. I hope you can stop by to support one of our new dining spots and help out some good people. I definitely plan on stopping by this weekend!

5 comments:

kate said...

We went, and the food was great!

Anonymous said...

My boyfriend and I also went over the weekend. I got vegetarian penang curry and he got the spicy catfish entree. We were both happy with our meals and plan on returning soon to try some other food off the menu. In terms of quality and price, I think it will be hard to find a better deal on thai food in SS.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear of their troubles. I am mistaken, or didn't that restaurant only open a week or so ago? Terrible timing for them! I'll go there tonight and help out.

Anonymous said...

So tonight I got some food from Thai Flavor. Here is my report:

Wayne and Wendy, the husband and wife proprietors, are very nice people. This is definitely a local business run by people who care about their customers. I ordered vegetarian meals for my wife and myself: Summer Rolls, Tom Ka Soup: (lemongrass and coconut with vegetables and tofu) and green curry.

While I was waiting for my food and chatting with Wayne (and his very cute little daughter) I had some ginger ice tea. It was full of ginger and sweet. I only wish I'd saved some for the curry.

I have only two complaints. The Summer Rolls came with shrimp, despite my vegetarian specification. Ah well, that's how it appears on the menu, and maybe the cook didn't quite get it. No problem, as our cats greatly enjoyed the shrimp.

The Tom Ka Soup was nice and sour with a generous amount of coconut milk. Good stuff.

The green curries were very good, and they were thankfully full of tofu and eggplant and mushrooms and other veggies, and not loaded with bamboo shoots like some other Thai places do. But here is my second complaint, though I cannot fault Thai Flavor. I asked for my curry to be Thai hot, as in, so spicy hot that my tongue catches on fire and I curse the gods for having given me a mouth. As it turned out, the curry was plenty spicy and I enjoyed it greatly, but I did not suffer the pangs of hell on my tongue...like I wanted to! But like I said, this is not unique to Thai Flavor. No matter where I go, and no matter how sincerely I ask, I never get my Thai curry as godawful hot as I ask for. Maybe it's my face ("that dopey white guy with the big nose can't really mean it)," or maybe the Thai around here just jealously guard their hottest peppers. Regardless, my quest for an inedibly hot Thai curry continues. In the meantime, I heartily recommend this restaurant.

We all know that George W. Bush and his friends did their very best to wreck the American economy, and everyone is hurting. It's time to look out for each other here in Silver Spring. Local businesses need our help, and Wayne and Wendy are local. Stop by Thai Flavor and get yourself some good eats. Just make sure if you're a vegetarian that you say "No shrimp!," too (hey, it could be worse. I've met people who think chicken is vegetarian food. Drives me nuts.).

Unknown said...

sounds like a excellent place to eat...

wayne and wendy need to pray to god...

his everlasting power will prevail in your life..

everything else will come..

wish you welll